sculpture, skull, skull, head of death in obsidian celeste eye of Mexico of very high quality. Sandalwood base.
As a gemologist graduated from the National Institute of Gemmology of Paris, all our stones are appraised and certified.
Rare collector's item
Entirely artisanal work
Dimension: 39cm high, 27cm wide by 18cm deep.
Net weight of obsidian 5.05kg
Video also available via this link
To discover our entire shop, please click on this link
Obsidian is a natural glass, it is produced during an emission of lava rich in silica containing very little water (- 3%). At the time of its exit from the volcano, it undergoes a very rapid cooling that freezes the crystallization mechanisms. "It's like a piece of lava frozen when it comes out of the volcano."
- Obsidian forms so quickly that atoms are unable to organize into crystalline structures. The result is a volcanic glass with a smooth uniform texture. Due to the lack of crystal structure, obsidian has sharp stops and extremely thin blades.
- It is a natural mineral material that has a composition too complex to be composed of a simple mineral. However, obsidian consists mainly of SiO2 (silicon dioxide), usually 70% or more.
- Its fracture is clearly conchoidal and its hardness on the Mohs scale is between 7 and 7.5 (it scratches the glass).
- Black is the most common color of obsidian. However, it can also be brown or green. Rarely, obsidian can be blue, red, orange or yellow.
-The color difference appears due to changes in impurities and in the oxidation state of chemical elements.
- It is a stone of dark color, due to its richness in magnesium and iron. The surface of this gemstone is composed of beautiful patterns in the form of streaks, patches, spots, inclusions or bands of color. These various modes are created naturally at the time of stone formation.
- Sometimes two colors of obsidian mix together in a single specimen. The most common color combination is black and brown called "Mahogany Obsidian".
- Obsidian can also have an iridescent or metallic appearance caused by the light reflection of tiny inclusions of mineral crystals, rock debris or gas. These specimens are highly coveted for the manufacture of jewelry.
The formation of the rainbow obsidian "celestial eye"
- When microscopic crystals of feldspar or mica are formed along the lava flow, beautiful colors appear: blue, green, purple,....
- Thus, this variety is called Rainbow Obsidian. Different colors can appear in the form of successive layers on the surface of the stone.
- When making curved objects the different colors appear and change according to the inclination of the reflection to the light.
- It is one of the most coveted stones because of its fascinating beauty.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 3 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 7 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.